Over the course of this next year (Aug 2012 to Aug 2013) I will be blogging about my time as a PC(USA) Young Adult Volunteer in Tucson, AZ. I am volunteering with the intention of finding a deeper understanding of God's love as it is presented in different settings around the world. Thus far, that hope is coming to fruition.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

catching up part 2

The actual day that was Thanksgiving was very much a typical Thursday for the Belfast YAVs. There's nothing special about the fourth Thursday of November in Northern Ireland. I started my day out with Little Steps (the parent/toddler group at Woodvale). Then it was over to the 174 Trust for the after school program followed by time with the football boys. I then headed back over to Woodvale for Urban Magnets.

The Saturday that followed Thanksgiving told a much different story. First off, I slept in. I normally can't so this was especially wonderful. Then, after lunch, Team Skeg made their way over to Bathgate for a typical Thanksgiving football game. We headed down the Belmont Road to Belmont Park where we were greeted by a beautiful green park, lots of open space to play, and mud. Oh yes, it was muddy! But I can't imagine it would've been better if it hadn't been so slick on account of said mud.

the heimbuck faction of team Skeg
We set up a short field and played that each team got four downs to score. The field was long enough that punting would've been a good strategic move for some of the drives, but we're YAVs, we don't punt. In the end, Kendra led Team Skeg with two touchdowns passes. Christina made a boatload of "tackles" and I was on the receiving end of Kendra's touchdown throws. Team Bathgate featured Patrick with a touchdown reception and a pick six. I think Liz threw the touchdown pass and Ellison just about threw a touchdown pass to himself. On fourth and goal from about the 3, Ellison threw one up for Patrick, I got my hand on it to bat it down and did so but it went right back to Ellison. He caught it, ran, and Christina stopped him just short on the 1. It was a close game and the official score was 14-14 but we decided that we would say that the score was fun to fun and Jesus won.

After the football game, we made our way over to Doug and Elaine's for an incredibly delicious feast. The turkey was terrific and I can't begin to tell you how good the stuffing was. If the stuffing is great, then it's always a good Thanksgiving meal. Based on the Baker's stuffing, it was a GREAT Thanksgiving meal. The YAVs provided most of the desserts and I was quick to take a piece of Kendra's apple pie. It's certainly one of my favorite desserts. Fortunately for me, there was even some to take home. So I enjoyed it more than just once.

patrick on edge! literally.
Before the meal we watched Michigan and Ohio St battle it out. After the meal we were able to watch the Alabama vs. Auburn game. It might be more accurate to say that we watched Patrick reactions to the Alabama/Auburn game more than we did the game itself but it was a treat to have live football. In fact, the whole night was a real treat. Thank you to the Bakers for making the night possible for us. You spoiled us. You really did. And it means a lot to have people that will spoil you right when you're hitting the funk that apparently comes just as the Christmas season is starting and you've been away from home for coming up on 4 months. With that said, I hope you'll be inspired to take some time today to thank someone who has gone the extra mile for you at some point and it's made all the difference. Doug and Elaine, thank you!


a random pic of the group on the North Coast - seemed like a good one to add

No comments:

Post a Comment