Over the course of this next year (Aug 2012 to Aug 2013) I will be blogging about my time as a PC(USA) Young Adult Volunteer in Tucson, AZ. I am volunteering with the intention of finding a deeper understanding of God's love as it is presented in different settings around the world. Thus far, that hope is coming to fruition.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

the goings-on

This past week was a great one and I think it's only fitting I share with you all some pics and stories of the past few days. I would also like to give you all an idea of what my typical week is shaping up to be.

Monday I spend my day meeting with either Doug, our site coordinator, or with the him and the whole group. We discuss what is going on at our placements, what we're struggling with, and how we're generally doing. I love these meetings. Doug is certainly a seasoned vet when it comes to many of the things we're dealing with so he is a wonderful ally for us in this year abroad. After the meetings I head up the Antrim Road to the 174 Trust where I help with the after school program for about an hour and a half before meeting up with the football club that I've spoken of before. The after school program usually consists of going out on the bus to pick kids up from their primary schools and then hanging out with them at the Trust. Hanging out includes, amongst other things, board games (a lot of Connect 4), painting/art, and Wii sports.

A typical Tuesday puts me at Woodvale in the morning to help with the C'mon In Cafe. The Cafe is a community outreach effort by the church that seeks to offer a cheap, yet hearty, meal to those who live in the area. What I find most interesting about the Cafe is that all of the volunteers who run it are locals whom you wouldn't see Sunday mornings. They are called the Forthriver Royals and meet often to discuss problems facing the community and to serve the community in the Cafe. They are a great group who have a heart for serving their community. After the Cafe I head over to the Trust for the after school program. Then, in the evening, I help with the disabilities club at the Trust. The disabilities club is one of the highlights of my week. We work with a variety of ages (about 5 to 15) and a variety of disabilities. We strive to give the kids a safe place to play and a place where they understand they have something to offer and are valued. But I think it's safe to say that I get much more out of this club than I think the kids get from me!

Wednesdays see me at the Trust in the mornings for the parent/toddler group. The first week at the group I mostly just set up and then put toys away. When the second week began much the same way and I was off to the side as the parents and kids were playing, if my role was at this group was anything more than being the "muscle." I figured that the Trust was out of its mind if they just had me for my muscle, because that's not one of my strong points, so I sought out a way to be more involved. I went over to the cars and began playing with a little boy. His mother runs the group so she was working with another parent and Jacob was playing by himself. We played together for only about 10 minutes but at the end of the day, when it was time to head out, Jacob ran up to me and gave me a hug. It was in that moment that I understood that I was indeed more than just "muscle" at the parent/toddler group. That day, I was there for that 10 minutes with Jacob.

I'm off Wednesday afternoons and in the evening we have a midweek service at Woodvale. The midweek is often a time of study, prayer, and reflection. It is pretty laid back. This past week I was able to lead music at it and we split into a couple of groups for some great discussion.

Thursday morning I head back to Woodvale for their parent/toddler group. There my role is more defined as I start with kids during their free play and mostly kick the football (soccer ball) around with some of the boys. I then make my way to the kitchen where I help prepare the snacks and then wash the dishes as they come in. After this group I head back over to the Trust for the after school program and then the football club. Thursday evenings will see me at Woodvale with the Urban Magnets group, their youth ministry but that has not started yet.

a few of Woodvale's young adults
On Fridays I am at the Trust in the afternoon for the after school program again. Then, in the evenings, I am at some function with Woodvale. Some Fridays I will be with a men's Bible study, others I will be with the young adult group we are getting started. This past Friday was a night of fellowship with the young adults. We met in the church hall to play Guitar Hero, eat a lot of food, and share in some delightful conversation.


me and the YAVs that joined our group Friday night
On Saturdays I am off, as is Kendra, so we look to do something fun that usually consists of exploring the Belfast area. Today we went hill-walking (hiking) at Cave Hill. Cave Hill looks like a man lying down and was supposedly the inspiration for Jonathan Swift to write Gulliver's Travels. Cave Hill also boasts some good trail trails and magnificent views of the area. On a clear day you can even see Scotland in the distance. Some pictures from our hike are below.

Well, I've flooded you with information, so now I'll go back to watching Teen Wolf while I wait another hour until 12:30 am my time so I can listen to the Wyoming Cowboys game over the internet. Yes, Michael J. Fox and a football game in the same night, it's a good one.
heading up Cave Hill

us at the top

a good view going up

1 comment:

  1. What a great time you two had today. Your take on your work is also insightful. Being a learner is a great thing, and to think you learned from a young child this week. You never know who will be your teacher. Have a great week. We look forward to your posts and the chances we get to Skype with you and Kendra.

    ReplyDelete