Over the course of this next year (Aug 2012 to Aug 2013) I will be blogging about my time as a PC(USA) Young Adult Volunteer in Tucson, AZ. I am volunteering with the intention of finding a deeper understanding of God's love as it is presented in different settings around the world. Thus far, that hope is coming to fruition.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

we've arrived!

At this time we've been in Belfast for about three days. Orientation has consited of getting settled in our new apartments and adjusted to our living accomdation's new creaks and squeaks. We've failed miserably at figuring out our heater and remembering to switch off our outlets all the time. Yes, the outlets themselves have switches on them and need to be off when not in use. Preferably, at least. We've made a run to Tesco to get some essentials and have organised our apartment to our liking as well. There are many new aspects of life to get used to and I'm sure I'll tell you about them as the year progresses.

Aside from experiencing another culture, with admitted successes and failures so far, we've been visiting the YAV site placements this week. Tomorrow, we will visit Woodvale Methodist, the church I will be working at, and Whitehouse Presbyterian, the church Kendra will be working at. Yesterday, we visited the 174 Trust, a community center that I will also be working at. The 174 Trust is an incredible community center, though I am reluctant to call it that because it offers so much more than what we might call a community center in the US does. I encourage you to check out the website: http://174trust.org/v3/index.php. I am very excited to begin work with them in a week and gage what all I will be doing. 

At the placements were there is an emphasis on work done with people affected by the Troubles and the outcomes of the conflict, there is a lot of work put towards helping people tell their stories. I've come to realize that a story is an incredibly powerful thing. It expresses who we are in an intimate way and because of this, we are reluctant to tell it to just anyone. If we do, we often leave out many details. In light of this, I am going to focus on listening this year. I want to make sure that I am earnest in listening to others and strive not only to connect to the words they are saying but also to connect with their heart. I want to do this because I want the relationships I form to be authentic. Too often we pretend that parts of the other person or even parts of ourselves don't exist. We choose not to recognize them. When we leave these parts out and we pretend certain pieces of us don't exist, we make it impossible to build meaningful and lasting relationships that can make a difference in both people's lives. I look forward to taking on the challenge that comes with earnest listening and proper response to hearing someone's story. I look equally forward to telling mine and opening up to others.

The placement visits have helped me compare and contrast the way churches and Christian organisations operate here and in the United States. I know I need to be careful when doing so, especially given the fact that I have been here 3 short days and have yet to see a church and how it functions up close. That time will come. And when it does, I am going to love sharing my thoughts with you. Until then, I'm going to leave you hanging because it is late and I've got to get some sleep and get over this jet lag!

Love, grace, peace,

Karl

No comments:

Post a Comment