Over the course of this next year (Aug 2012 to Aug 2013) I will be blogging about my time as a PC(USA) Young Adult Volunteer in Tucson, AZ. I am volunteering with the intention of finding a deeper understanding of God's love as it is presented in different settings around the world. Thus far, that hope is coming to fruition.

Friday, September 9, 2011

how a parent/toddler group got me thinking about the "american dream"

The Belfast YAVs have officially begun working. With that said, I didn't have to work today. I'm off Friday mornings, Friday afternoons at the Trust are dependent on whether or not I'm needed, and the Friday evening groups at the church don't meet every week. Today was one of those great days where it all comes together because Kendra didn't have to work either and we got to spend a day exploring our neighborhood. We went down to the Trust quick so I could show Kendra what our after school program looks like and then hit up the charity shops. The charity shops may not have been the best idea, seeing as how we came home with 4 books. The other day I found a Ray Bradbury collection of 3 books for only 87 pence at ASDA. I guess that means we've already bought 7 books over here. I'm just going to look at is as building a library for future YAVs. Or maybe visitors would even be willing to back a book or two home for us.

Yesterday, a day I actually did work, saw me start the morning at the church's parents and toddlers group. I arrived at 9:30, helped set up some chairs and then sat and visited with a couple of parents once they started arriving around 10. After about an hour I made my to the kitchen and prepared toast. They don't trust me with making the tea yet (just kidding, I think...) but I can butter the heck out of a slice of toast.

After the morning, I began thinking about how parent/toddler groups are an incredible ministry. They give people a chance to see others they might not normally and catch up on what has been going on. The ministry gets people exposed to the church who otherwise might not ever set foot inside the doors. It also promotes healthy, valuable family time. The programs are so popular over here that I'll be helping with one at the 174 Trust and there are even government funded groups that exist. With that being said, I started to think about why there aren't too many of these groups in the States. At least, so far as I am aware. I can't come to any great conclusion about this. There seems to be a limited amount of childcare offered here during the day. I haven't seen any preschools, either. That alone lends itself to the need for a stay-at-home parent who would be able to take part in a parent/toddler group. But I also think that some of it has to do with how the family is valued. Over here, mothers get almost a year off for maternity leave. In the States many women are pressured to return to work less than 3 months after having their child. Now, I'm not saying that people in the States do not value their family. I think there is tremendous value put on the family and I'm fortunate to come from a family that loves being with each other, even makes time to do so, and cherishes that time spent together. But there is that underlying theme in the American culture that screams to everyone that they need to work hard so they can buy a new car, a bigger house, better clothes, etc. Because of that theme, the "American dream," as some even call it, there is always that idea that work should be put at the forefront of what we do.

Now, I may be way off with some of this, but I'm truly enjoying how through this YAV year, even after just about 2 weeks, something like a parent/toddler group is getting me thinking about what I value and how I desire to live my life. Once again, it's going to be a great year!

2 comments:

  1. One thing I learned on sabbatical is I work too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karl, That is why you had used football cletes half the time. We were too busy having family time. But, as you think back, you should have had more. It is great that we still have family time every time we can and that we enjoy it as much if not even more than in the past. Great insights, keep them comimg, they make me think. And you know I need to do all the thinking I can. Dad.

    ReplyDelete